Tuesday 31 January 2012

Hunger Games the Series



The last couple of books I read was the ‘Hunger Games’ trilogy. This series has somehow managed to bag five stars for each of the books. Someone was quoted as saying that this is one of the first trilogy series where each book got better, which meant the best was saved for the last and I strongly DISAGREE. Personally, I love the first book more than I did the others. I went on to read the others because someone had challenged a school board to take it off her daughter’s reading list. If this intrigues you, check this http://www.schoollibraryjournal.com/slj/newslettersnewsletterbucketextrahelping/887280-443/new_hampshire_parent_challenges_the.html.csp

The first book viz. Hunger Games was absolutely fantastic. I was glad that one of my close friends recommended that book.  I believed her because she had asked me to read, ‘ The Help’ and we’ll save the review for that later.

Anyhow Hunger Games! Even the title fascinates me to this very day when I am done reading the series. I didn't know what I had signed up for when a dear friend recommended this. The back of the book certainly did not do justice to what I was about to face. Author Suzanne Collins takes you to the futuristic world of Panem.

A tyrannical society of the Capitol, exploits the rest of the districts of Panem to remain dominant. So obsessed with power was this place, that it has given rise to the sadistic Hunger Games where one has to literally kill to get through. The only survivor is declared the winner. Two contestants--a boy and a girl are picked from each district. Participation--of the chosen ones--was mandatory to secure food supply for the family. A young girl decides to take the place of her younger sister and manages to survive along with a boy from the same district. She manages to change the system by not being the lone survivor in these games.

The book that starts with intrigue ends on a positive note and with its sequels takes on a route of violence, touches morbid areas while dragging along a love triangle. I detested reading Catching Fire but a twist in the love story made me pick up Mockingjay despite me wanting nothing to do with it thereafter. 

Finally I get past my initial reaction to the continuity of violence and manage to key into the story line when the ending completely takes it away. It takes away my reason for reading the book. I don’t know if you would take the last book as ending on a positive note but for me it’s an absolute irony.

Do I suggest you read the series? I do. You must read it. But the book leaves you with a sense of loss and hopelessness that I do not wish upon anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment